Drigg Parish church stands in an elevated position in the centre of the village, 100 yards from the Community Centre.
Local sandstone built church dating from the buildings consecration in July 1850, under a Burlington blue/grey slate roof.
The steeply sloped timber roof structure covers the main church. The side aisle is covered with a lean to structure with exposed timbers.
Family friendly worship.
Holy Communion on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th Sunday of the month at 11am.
Family Service on the 4th Sunday of the month at 11am.
Worship for young families at DriggEvery Sunday at 11am there will be an opportunity for familes with young children to take part in Christian worship in the relaxed and welcoming setting of St Peter's Church. Our aim is to create a safe and welcoming space for young children to share in the worship of the church. We aim to ensure that families can be confirdent of a warm welcome with appropriate activites on offer to enable all the family to grow together in the Christian faith.
Near Boot, in Eskdale
Under the hills next to the River Esk and far from other houses and homes lies Saint Catherine's. There has been a place of worship in this place since a seventh century hermit sat by his well and offered Holy Water, Prayer and Healing to all who sought him.
• 1st Sunday:11am Eucharist
• 2nd Sunday:11am Eucharist
Between Holmrook (on A595) and Santon
The Celtic Cross amidst the other grave stones in the churchyard bears witness to this being a meeting place for Christians in the ninth century, probably earlier.
The present, rather grand Victorian, Church (a Grade II* listed building) has recently had extensive renovation
9.30 am Eucharist
11.00 am Eucharist
Fashion ShowIrton Hall will be holding a special fashion show by FDATTIRE on Wednesday 27th February at 7.30pm. Models will be showing a wide range of outfits to hire for weddings, proms, ladies days, cruises and other special occasions. Tickets £10 including a glass of Prosecco and homemade biscuits. All proceeds to Irton Church.
New Meeting to be arranged - please watch this space
The church is some distance south of Ravenglass village. Use the southern (or coach) entrance to Muncaster Castle (SatNav CA18 1RJ) just off the A595
The village of Ravenglass, dating back tot he Roman occupation of Britain (AD43 to c.AD410) and the largest centre of population on the Eskdale Benefice, is unusual in that the church, dedicated to Saint Michael and All Angels, is some distance away surrounded by the gardens of Muncaster Castle. This reflects its close links with the Pennington family who have been at Muncaster since at least 1208. Before that, the monks of Furness Abbey had recognised that on this great Fell they could safely live and graze their sheep.
The current church dates from sometime in the 12th century although the site had been of religious significance to the local community probably from pre-Christian times. An Anglo-Norse preaching cross in the churchyard dates from around 950AD and an ancient burial mound is also present.
The church is Grade 1 listed, having been reworked in the 16th century. There have been later additions and alterations, including a restoration and the addition of a north transept in 1874 by Anthony Salvin. Further repairs and a renovation were carried out for the 2000 Millennium with the aid of a substantial English Heritage grant. In the north transept is an interesting Forster and Andrews organ. The church has particularly fine stained glass windows in the arts and Crafts style and the Madonna and Child in the vestry is possibly by William Morris himself.
Two thirds of the churchyard is now closed and maintained by Copeland Borough Council. In the open section of the churchyard, spaces remain available for burials and there is a Garden of Remembrance for the interment of ashes.
▪ 1st Sunday: 11.00am Eucharist
▪ 3rd Sunday: 11.00am Eucharist
Ravenglass Coffee Morning starts again after the Christmas break on 9th January in the Church Rooms from 10.30am. Everyone is welcome.
In a farm yard one mile off the A595
Waberthwaite Church is remarkable in location and in simplicity. Its history has been understated for many years, but recent research is starting to reveal its significance. - it has sat by the estuary of the River Esk for over a thousand years. It is a simple barn shaped building with box pews and a graveyard that is at its best in Spring!
• 1st Sunday: 9.30 am Eucharist
• 3rd Sunday: 9.30 am Eucharist
Eskdale Green: in the centre of the village, on the right as you go east up the valley
Built as a school and Chapel of Ease and taken over as a church in 1997 the building is well used and in fact now incorporates the village Post Office.
Its significance is defined by its value to the local community; not just as a place of worship but for many other functions. The terracotta font comes from an earlier church.
It houses a Post Office for the village.
• 3rd Sunday: 9.30am :- Morning Prayer
• 4th Sunday: 9.30am :- Family Communion